Monday, June 8, 2009

"Opal Glass"

Milk glass is an opaque, milky white or colored glass, blown or pressed into a wide variety of shapes.
Originally it was know as Opal Glass but today the widely collected glass is commonly referred to as Milk Glass.

I only started researching Milk Glass today when I received a small box full from my Step Mother Sandy - a collector with a great eye and a sense of value. I would likely have turned my nose up to these items in the past but now that my home has been graced with the soothing creaminess and texture of this glass my eyes have been opened.



These pear shaped trays are, I assume, hors d'oeuvres trays. They're apprx. 4" long and 2" wide, and my favorite of the Milk Glass received today.



They have a different pattern on the bottom than the inside and look great sitting either way.



The design of this bowl is pointedly called the "bubble" pattern. It was made by Hocking between the 1940's - 1960's, and very popular. Some of these are harder to come by than others.



A beautiful little vase about 4" tall, this would look gorgeous with a full, round bouquet. I know nothing of it's origin but I have yet to pick Sandy's brain.



Here's a goblet. I'm not to sure what I think about it - the square base is interesting but it's also out of my realm, which is never a bad thing. Still...



This cute little bowl is about 3" in diameter, it's too small to not be adorable.

It's hard to tell in these photos but the texture to this glass, typically through the pattern or the scalloping is a nice juxtaposition to the soft color in the glass. You'll know Milk Glass when you see you it!


Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

  1. I love milk glass. My grandma has tons of peices in her cabinets and some she uses daily to this day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I later found information on all of these except the goblet. The vase was originally a bubble bath container!

    ReplyDelete