Tuesday, October 6, 2009

On the Lookout: Graniteware

It's not that I love Graniteware, my home can sometime teeter on "shabby" but it's far too modern to accommodate such a country ware, but I am interested in it and in some instances I can image Graniteware looking modern in a mid-century styled home. But what I really like about this collector's item is that it's not the easiest to distinguish and that makes it fun to look out for. You see Graniteware, also known as Enamelware, was first produced in the late 1800's, production seized in the 1940's, but in the 1970's production started up again and these items are still being produced today.


It's said that the modern day productions are thinner and lighter, and that seems to be the best way to distinguish between the two. But take this spoon for example, how much could a spoon possibly weigh? Fortunately purchasing "these" spoon (three for $.95) didn't take much thought when I found them at a thrift store in Grand Junction, Colorado.


Maybe you've noticed, maybe not, but these greatly resemble camping supplies made today hence my even greater apprehension when deciphering their value. Take this teapot and the bowl below for example, I was at a loss when I saw them in the thrift store, and again I purchased them based on the fact that the price was right. It wasn't until recently that learned about the weight factor and I'm convinced that both of these items were produced after the 1970's.


I could be wrong, I don't know. I guess that's for the bidders on ebay to decide. But if anyone readers this has information to share that would be really nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment