Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Dirty Thirty


What a week! I turned Thirty on Thursday last week and designed the floral arrangements, including bouquet and corsages, for my friends wedding on Saturday. I was crazed. And in such a great way.

On Thursday my Facebook, email, and phone were out of control with many loving messages from friends and family. I went into Thirty with zero expectations and came out of the haze smiling from ear to ear. The gifts I received were memorable. My auntie made me a quilt, my friend in NYC sent me a flower arrangement, my boyfriend bought me the coziest robe just in time for the cold days ahead, and my mother searched out a beautiful piece of jewelry for this special day.


In a sense quilts and vintage goodies are designed from the same cloth. There's obviously a lot of hard work and love that goes into a quilt. This personal touch isn't something that attaches itself to many inanimate objects, and by no means does another persons used cookware compare to the dedication that goes into making a quilt, but they both tell a story.

This quilt tells a couple different stories. For me it holds memories of the baby blanket my aunt made for me, the one she finished while on a plane from southern California to Ashland, Oregon, the one I slept with until I moved out of my mother's house. It's an extension of the blanket I out grew, my grown up version of a safe haven. For her, it's a piece of many quilts she made over the years. Each of the fabric swatches come from a different blanket she selflessly made for someone else.


There's an unknown story that lies with the vintage goods we find at thrift stores, the things that have been used and discarded for whatever reason. These items can take on a story all their own, whatever you might imagine or whatever the future holds.

For instance, the items you see below or have seen throughout the summer months as I've entertained in the backyard abode. They'll all go on to be owned by someone else, they're all for sale, but for now while new memories are being attached to them I can't help but think that a 50's housewife was responsible for the purchase of this aqua ice bucket.


Or wonder for whose backyard this chair entertained.


For my friends and I they were perfect accompaniments to round out my birthday week. The Sunday Birthday Bash went off without a hitch. Everyone contributed a yummy dish or something to drink and me, the birthday girl didn't have to worry about a thing other than what I do best - pretty-ing up the house!


Thanks to all for a wonderful birthday week. Your presence either in person or digitally made turning Thirty a breeze!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this post. And that final image with everyone in your backyard - PRICELESS! I'm so glad you had a great birthday week.

    ReplyDelete